Monday, September 28, 2009

Electric Avenue

Writer's note: after completing this sketch, I realized that it was dangerously related to a sketch that my good friend Matt Koff has already written. It remains here on this page as a part of the Sketchtember challenge, but I would never deign to perform such a derivative, beastly thing as does lie below:

MAN 1 and MAN 2 enter. They walk up to a horizontal beam of crackling energy, right along the ground. They pause.

They pause some more.

MAN 1 (deadpan)
Wow.

MAN 2 (excited)
Yeah!

MAN 1
Yeah.

MAN 2
Uh-huh!

MAN 1
You know, I...

MAN 2
What?

MAN 1
I just...when you said "let's walk down to Electric Avenue", I just -- ha! -- i just. Kinda. Figured. That was a joke. Because of the song.

MAN 2 (shaking his head, offended)
Tch. No, it's not JUST a song, Michael. It's not just some words. We have an electric avenue in this town and it is a matter of pride.

MAN 1
Yeah, I-I can see that.

MAN 2
You know what? I went out of my way tonight. I went out of my way to take you here. Looks like that was a mistake.

MAN 2 begins to exit. MAN 1 stops him.

MAN 1
Steve, wait up.

MAN 2
No man, no. I'm my own person. My mother always told me that. And she told me that one day: I'm gonna find someone. I'm gonna find a companion. Until that day, you're so much debris blocking my path.

A beat. MAN 1 lowers his arm. MAN 2 slowly exits. Just before he does:

MAN 1 (facing away)
Oh, Steve?

MAN 2 halts.

MAN 1
You're going to miss me like a train. You know that? Like a goddamned train.

MAN 2 (head down)
I know.

MAN 2 exits.

Beat. MAN 1 eyes the beam of electricity.

MAN 1
Yeah, this is really kinda one-note.

BLACKOUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment